Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Diary #3

October 2, 1842

Dear Diary,
 Today I am learning how to read. Ma teaches me how to sound out different letters and then put them together to make a word. Then I put the words together to make sentences.
“ R-A-T rat C-A-T cat S-A-T sat M-A-T mat” I recite.
“ Very good.” my Ma says.
 After a long morning of learning, Youngbird and I go to the prairie and play tag in the grass. We run and run and then lay down in the grass, feeling like the world is spinning all around us. I stood up and brushed the hay off of my skirts. Youngbird runs around gleefully and yells in happiness. I joined her and sing out loud. I don’t know what could have been a better day.

For lunch we help my Ma make hot stew with deer meat and chicken water. First we have to soak the chicken in water and let that sit for a while. While the chicken is soaking, we cook the fresh deer meat over the fire and then cut off the fat. We also cut the deer into little bite-sized pieces. After that we take the water that the chicken was sitting in and mixed it with the deer meat. Ma lets us taste it and it is delicious!
“ My little taste testers.”Ma says.
We’d be glad to taste anytime, I thought.

Finally, I help Youngbird brush her dolls hair.
“Why do white people treat us badly?”Youngbird asks.
“ I don’t know. White people are confusing. They don’t like us but we have never done anything wrong to them.”I replied. I make a mental note to ask Ma about it later.

For dinner is the stew we made for lunch. Bye-Bye!

Mohaka

No comments:

Post a Comment